You're Never Too Old

Posted by Sherry , Tuesday, July 13, 2010 Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The world works in mysterious ways, my friends. Basically, over the last 10 days or so I have been crippled with writer's block and haven't been able to come up with much to report that would capture even the most loyal readers' attention.

See, the life of a SAHM who could care less about scrap-booking or triple coupon days leaves much to be desired. I had thought I'd spend some time this week catching you up on my hunt for my vampire fiancee and watching my first werewolf initiation but stupid Sookie Stackhouse stole my thunder. Our lives run so parallel it is UNREAL.

Lucky for me, some material fell into my lap.

For starters, I found out today that my 88 year old grandmother joined a gym for the first time.

While Leona and I have been sitting on our fat asses, eating our weight in malted milk balls and brie, my 88 year old grandmother is doing bicep curls and tricep extensions at her local Gold's. I can only hope that there is some steroid pumped trainer who's arms are so big they don't fit in anything but sweaty tank tops, spotting my grandmother when she's benching her weight in what I like to refer to as the 'grunting' room of the gym. Now THAT would be a sight to behold.

In any case, when asked why she felt she needed to join said gym, her response was that she “needs to watch her figure”.

Now, I don't know about you, but all my life I've been waiting to turn 88 years old because I assumed that by then, SURELY, I could be DONE “watching my figure.” I'm not sure if her interest in pumping up is due to a fear of losing physical independence, boredom, vanity or a combination of all of the above but all I can say is, if hearing your grandmother talk about which machines she 'gets the best results from' isn't inspiration, well, frankly, I don't know what is.

I've relayed this story to my trainer for the sole purpose of having him use it against me. When we're doing bosou ball step ups with 15 pound dumb bells for minute long increments and I tell him that I'm starting to tire and would like to stop, he can look at me with a straight face and say “Sherry, seriously. Your GRANDMOTHER can do this.”

Did I mention that I signed up for a 3rd training session this week?

Eat my dust grandma.

13 Response to "You're Never Too Old"

-Grace- Says:

Good for you! That is definitely some motivation :)

Linda Says:

Your Grandma rocks!!

Kristin Says:

This post is completely awesome. And your grandma rocks. What a woman!

Anonymous Says:

Your grandma is my hero!!! Good job with the training sessions...my trainer probably thinks I am dead by now it's been so long since I've been in...over 10 days..yikes!

Bonnie Says:

Definitely an inspiration. She is one grandma who won't get run over by any freaking reindeer.

DiZneDiVa Says:

Go get 'em Grandma! I love this post... I'm glad you found your inspiration! *Maria*-Blogger from "This one time at Band Camp..." Check out my blog at mybigfatbandgeeklife.blogspot.com

Kerri Says:

Love your background and GO GRANDMA!!!

HODGE Says:

Freakin HYSTERICAL!!! I officially have absolutely NO reason to NOT go to the gym. ugh,,,

Theresa Says:

Awesome, we could all learn a thing or two from your Grandma!

Steph Says:

Go, go grandma. Enjoy your 3rd session and kick some ass!!!! Sookie Stackhouse books are the best and Eric & Alcide are easy on the eyes. Nuff Said.

Amy Says:

You always make me laugh! Glad your writer's block is gone and granny is inspiring you!

CC Says:

grandma is bad ass! :-)

Amy W. Says:

Great. Now I want to leg wrestle your Grandma just to show her who is the boss!

I will tell you this. At 88, i plan to NOT be exercising, still have great sex, eating chocolate, and possibly wearing a designer diaper!

Good for grams though!

Post a Comment